Tallis Dr, Mornington VIC 3931, Australia
Mornington Golf Club celebrated its Centenary in 2004. For those who know Mornington it started life on a tract of land named Cook’s paddock behind the current Tanti hotel (on Nepean Highway) and stretched from the old railway to Beleura Hill Road. It was moved to the Mornington Racecourse in 1925 until after the Military took occupancy of the Racecourse obviously creating difficulties for play.
1941 saw the committee of the day negotiate for the Mornington members to play on a 9-hole private course at The Dava Lodge Guesthouse on the corner of Dava Drive and the Esplanade. In 1946 a lease was taken out from Sir George Tallis for 110-120 acres to create a golf course. As with all projects such as this, there were difficult times, especially so soon after the war but the first 9 holes were opened with much fanfare on Saturday 29th April 1950.
Work on the other 9 holes was then well on the way and they were opened not long after. The site, which was later purchased from the Tallis family and is home to Mornington Golf Club, occupies one of the most spectacular positions high on the cliff tops of Port Phillip Bay overlooking Mornington Harbour and around the bay from the You Yangs, the City of Melbourne and the Dandenongs.