Bangalore Golf Club

2, Sankey Road High Grounds Bengaluru, Karnataka 560 001

Overview

BGC is the oldest golf course outside of the British Isles. Established on a summer evening on June 24th of 1876, the land was previously used by an army regiment as a rifle range & training area. The course started with a 12 hole design & was transformed many a time, the last being a redesign in 2000. The annual tournaments between BGC & the Madras Gymkhana club (started in 1878) are the oldest inter-club annual matches anywhere in the world. In 2002, the fully redesigned course was opened & had the distinction of being one of the few courses in India that pioneered the use of recycled effluent water for irrigation of trees, fairways & greens. During the redesign, the brief was to accommodate a 18 hole course in a 60 acre plot ( a rather tight squeeze), with a minimum of criss-crossing & without cutting a single tree. Phil Ryan, a gentle, soft spoken civil engineer turned golf architect, who has vast experience working across Asia, finally came up with a “new plan” which gained universal acceptance. The new plan set in a totally restructured & landscaped course, that is tight & calls for a premium on accuracy with the huge tree cover & is a treat to play. Of the total cost of nearly INR 40 mn, 90% was generated from the internal resources of the Club & the rest by generous donations from industrial houses & individuals. The course currently plays to a 6118 yardage from the men’s tees as a Par 70, 18 hole course. BGC, along with Bangalore Club, is one of the oldest & prestigious social clubs in Bangalore, with few thousand elite members.

Course Facilities

Changing rooms
Parking
Security staff Service
Showers Room
Shop
Floodlights
Restaurant
Club House
Buggy
Club Hiring
Pull Cart
Caddy
Shoe Hiring

Course Details

Hole 18
Par 72
Length 6118
Established in 1876
Designer Phil Ryan
Grass Type -
Course Type -

Contact