Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
At the turn of the Century, after full British occupation of Myanmar (Burma) in 1885, the City of Yangon (Rangoon) was already an important flourishing trade center internationally teeming with big and small British commercial establishments like Bombay Burma Co., Burma Oil Co., Steel Brothers, Rowe & Co., Irrawaddy Flotilla etc. Senior staff of those trade organizations, officers of British Regiments, ranking British administrators and merchants decided to bring golf to Yangon as their popular pastime sport, the game of golf. So the present Yangon Golf Club at Danyingon with Mr. G.Ballance as its first captain was established in the year 1909 maintaining two golf courses; one (18) hole course at the present site in Danyingon 12 miles north of the city and the other (9) hole course on 2nd mile Pyay (Prome) Road now replaced by the People's Park. The (9) hole 2nd mile Yangon Golf Club was constituted much earlier at a general meeting by enthusiasts in 1893 and by the year 1904 had a neat small, timber club house and the playing area interrupted by football and hockey fields. The Captain of the Club in 1904 was Lt. Col. G. B Crawley.
Yangon Golf Club, then, was an almost exclusively monopolistic pastime place for the European Community until after the end of World War II and Myanmar Independence in 1948. In 1954, the last British Captain of the Club, Mr. I. G. Clarke, the General Manager of William Jack, Hardware Co., gave way to U Cho, Director of Public Instruction, who became the first Burmese Captain.
The Club is registered as a non-profit company, meaning that no part of the assets of the club shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus, or profit to the members of the club. If, upon the winding up of the club, the net assets may be given to charity. Membership of the shall not be sold or transferred unlike elsewhere in the world where some golf clubs are commercial enterprises and membership treated like a share in the stock market.